MINNEAPOLIMEDIA NEWS | Jake Lang and Others Arrested on Probable-Cause Riot Allegations Following Minneapolis City Hall Confrontation MINNEAPOLIS, MN (August 23, 2026)

Image

Far-right activist Jake Lang and several other people were arrested Saturday following a confrontation outside Minneapolis City Hall that police said involved two vehicles driving onto a sidewalk toward a gathered crowd.

Minneapolis police said Lang arrived near City Hall with other people in two vehicles at approximately 11:50 a.m. Saturday.

A group of counterprotesters had gathered near the building in response to Lang’s appearance. Police said both vehicles drove onto the sidewalk in front of City Hall and moved toward the crowd.

Officers ordered the vehicles away from the sidewalk and out of the immediate area. Police then tracked the vehicles after they departed.

Minnesota State Patrol troopers stopped one vehicle near Washington Avenue and Interstate 35W. The second vehicle was later stopped in Bloomington.

Police said all occupants of the two vehicles, including Lang, were arrested on probable cause of riot. Both vehicles were impounded.

Additional arrests were made near City Hall following confrontations between participants, although authorities had not released a complete list of those arrested or the allegations involving each person as of Sunday morning.

A probable-cause arrest is not the same as a formal criminal charge. Prosecutors must review the available evidence and determine whether charges should be filed. Everyone arrested is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in court.

Lang, a pardoned participant in the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, has previously organized demonstrations in Minneapolis that drew significantly larger groups of counterprotesters. He has repeatedly used anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim rhetoric during his public appearances.

Saturday’s episode followed months of heightened tension surrounding immigration enforcement, demonstrations and political confrontations in Minneapolis.

Police did not report that anyone was struck by the vehicles. Authorities also had not released information indicating whether anyone sustained serious injuries during the subsequent confrontations.

The investigation remained active Sunday. Additional evidence, video recordings and witness accounts may affect charging decisions.

❤️ SUPPORT MINNEAPOLIMEDIA


STAY CONNECTED TO MINNEAPOLIMEDIA

Local stories matter. Subscribe free to MinneapoliMedia and receive independent news, community reporting and important updates from Minneapolis, the North Metro and communities across Minnesota.

SUBSCRIBE FREE: https://minneapolimedia.town.news/subscribe

MinneapoliMedia | Community. Culture. Civic Life

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified
Spam
Offensive