Image
The proposal, led by Zaynab Mohamed, passed the Senate Finance Committee on April 29, positioning it for a full Senate vote expected in early May. The legislation has been structured as an omnibus public safety package, combining multiple policy proposals into a single bill.
Senate Majority Leader Erin Murphy said the measure is expected to reach the Senate floor next week. Democrats hold a narrow majority in the chamber, making passage possible but not guaranteed.
If approved, the bill would move to the Minnesota House, where the chamber is evenly divided. That balance creates a significant hurdle, as bipartisan support would likely be required for final passage.
Governor Tim Walz has previously called for expanded gun restrictions, including limits on assault-style weapons, and is expected to sign the legislation if it reaches his desk.
The omnibus package includes several major provisions related to firearms regulation and public safety funding:
The package also includes funding provisions, including approximately $20 million for school safety aid and $14.7 million for expanded mental health access.
Supporters argue the proposal responds to ongoing public safety concerns and recent incidents involving gun violence.
House DFL Floor Leader Jamie Long said Democratic lawmakers are unified in advancing the legislation.
“It is not divisive for us to take action on gun violence,” Long said. “That is broadly supported by Minnesotans.”
Opposition from Republican leadership centers on both policy concerns and legislative feasibility.
House Speaker Lisa Demuth said similar proposals have struggled to gain sufficient support in prior sessions, including when Democrats previously controlled both chambers.
“Gun bills, when Democrats had full control of state government, didn’t have the votes within their own caucuses,” Demuth said. “So I would say that’s very indicative.”
Advocacy groups, including the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, have also opposed the package, raising concerns about provisions that would require existing firearm owners to register certain weapons under proposed grandfathering rules.
Minnesota enacted expanded background checks and an extreme risk protection order law in 2023, but broader restrictions on assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines have not been adopted.
If enacted, the current proposal would represent one of the most significant changes to Minnesota firearm policy in recent years.
The bill’s outcome will depend on legislative alignment across both chambers. While Senate passage is within reach, the evenly divided House presents a key obstacle that could determine whether the package advances to final approval.
MinneapoliMedia | Community. Culture. Civic Life.